Sunday, October 3, 2010

Movie #7 - 27 Dresses

27 Dresses
Fox 2000 Pictures
2008 - Rate PG-13 - 1 hr 51 min
Director: Anne Fletcher
Starring: Katherine Heigl, James Marsden, Malin Akerman, Judy Greer, and Edward Burns

I got this movie as a Christmas present, thought it would be dumb, and avoided watching it until last summer when I was stuck in the house with morning sickness. Oddly enough, Katherine Heigl won me over in the end. But I hadn't watched it in well over a year, so for this second viewing, I had to remind myself that it wasn't so bad.

And it isn't so bad, but this is another case of "it is what it is." If you go into this movie expecting to watch a chick flick with pretty standard conflicts and resolutions, you're all set. If you want anything else, pick another movie from the Movie Wall. Meanwhile, those of you looking for a chicky movie will enjoy this one. Heigl is annoyingly adorable, torn between two good-looking guys, and victimized by every bride in New York City. Once again, the failure to communicate is at the root of every single problem in Heigl's character's life. In that respect, it's so predictable it hurts. So don't get too cerebral on 27 Dresses, just watch it with a bowl of popcorn and be entertained.

2 comments:

  1. I actually don't mind chick flicks... but I honestly can't stand her. She always seems like such a bitch (which I suspect is because by all accounts she is one in real life.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this was the first time I was okay with her. Ugly Truth ain't bad either, but in general, I'd rather she her replaced by someone less "severe." Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete