Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Movie #14 - Across the Universe

Across the Universe
Revolution Studios
2007 - Rated PG-13 - 2 hr 13 min
Director: Julie Taymor
Starring: Evan Rachel Wood, Jim Sturgess, Joe Anderson

Time for a musical interlude!

The first time I watched Across the Universe, I was surprised that I liked it. I'd been afraid that maybe the Beatles music overlaying the storyline would be too forced, the numbers too theatrical, the premise too thin. For the most part, it's very well done. The songs fit well into the story and the theme. Julie Taymor and company work songs in from the outset so it's not a shock that there's talking then random singing.

At times, however, it gets a bit long-winded. They squeezed in quite a few songs, maybe a few more than needed. And the trippy scene in the middle, with Bono no less, could also be a tiny bit shorter...

Even so, it's artistically fun to watch and a very unique idea for a movie. Definitely recommended. :)

2 comments:

  1. I have to disagree with you on this one... it was such a mess. A visually interesting mess to be sure but it was such a cliched 60's story and I didn't feel that the songs flowed organically at all. Except for "I Want You" that I will grant was very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair points. I wasn't wowed by this, but I enjoyed watching it. It could definitely have been neater.

    ReplyDelete