Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Movie #13 - Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
Morgan Creek
1994 - Rated R - 1 hr 27 min
Director: Tom Shadyac
Starring: Jim Carrey, Sean Young, Courteney Cox, Tone Loc, and Dan Marino

This movie was not as funny as I remembered it being... big shocker. Of course, some of the lines are still pretty good, but for the most part there was no knee-slapping from me. Ace Ventura is the quintessential 90's Jim Carrey - absolutely nuts, able to grotesquely disable his face, and willing to do just about anything for the laugh.

I can't quite understand why every woman in this movie wants to do him. Is it the Hawaiian shirts? The no-holds-barred comedy? The outrageous haircut? The talking butt hole? No one knows. I'm especially baffled by Courtney Cox's attraction to him, but her relationship with Ace certainly explains her marriage to David Arquette.

Anyway, I was glad to check this one off the list... and not exactly thrilled to return to it anytime soon.

1 comment:

  1. I saw "The Mask" again about a year back and that didn't hold up very well either. I think the only classic Carrey comedy that will hold up at all in the end is going to be "Liar Liar."

    ReplyDelete