Thursday, October 7, 2010

Movie #22 - Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Alice In Wonderland
Walt Disney Pictures
2010 - Rated PG - 1 hr 49 min
Director: Tim Burton
Starring: Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Crispin Glover, Matt Lucas, Mia Wasikowska

Alright, I really really wanted to love this movie when I saw it in the theater last spring. To be honest, I didn't hate it but I really didn't love it either. It's another Burton/Depp/Bonham-Carter collaboration, so of course, it's dark and quirky, with just a side of mania. I liked the premise of the grown up Alice returning to Wonderland (or Underland) to slay the Jabberwocky, since it was a fresh way to adapt the classic story. Still, there were times where I felt like Tim Burton was too busy being Tim Burton... you know what I mean?

Overall, it's not bad. Johnny Depp does a great job, since he is at his core a talented character actor. The Scottish accent thing, I didn't even mind, although some people did. Helena Bonham-Carter is also entertaining, as usual. And they cast a great newcomer as Alice. I really enjoyed this movie, but I didn't feel like it lived up to all the hype. I don't know how it could have been improved, I just know that it could've been. Does that make sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment