Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Movie #19 - Aladdin

Aladdin
Walt Disney Pictures
1992 - Rated G - 1 hr 30 min
Directors: Ron Clements, John Musker
Starring: Scott Weinger, Robin Williams, Linda Larkin, Jonathan Freeman, Gilbert Gottfried

Ellie got to watch this one with me and danced along with the songs. I think it was her first Disney movie. I also think she's hooked :)

I have to admit that I had fun watching this too. Kids movies are fun to watch, and Disney does a good job squeezing in jokes for adults too. As a kid, I watched this movie one way and now I notice other things.

A few things, though, bothered me...
  1. Jasmine has a pet TIGER. Why didn't I think that was weird in 1995?
  2. Abu is supremely annoying... and also sounds like Donald Duck.
  3. Gilbert Gottfried is no funnier animated than he is in real life.
  4. Watching Robin Williams as the Genie is the best way to experience his standup routine without watching him sweat like a pig onstage.
  5. Magic carpet ride... can you say innuendo?
  6. The whole thing is kinda racist. Awesome, but kinda racist. Arab nations don't like us? Really? Huh... I wonder why.
  7. Jafar looks just like Prince, only taller.
Even so, I still no all the lyrics to the songs. Lea Solanga has the best voice in the universe, by the way, and I still want to be her when I grow up. This was my first Disney film, but by no means is it the last.

2 comments:

  1. I think all Disney movies have things that seem weird when you go back to them as an adult (don't get me started on the Indians in "Peter Pan"!) They're still great though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed :) But it is definitely a fun exercise!

    ReplyDelete