Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Movie #21 - Alice in Wonderland (1951)

Alice in Wonderland
Walt Disney Pictures
1951 - Rated G - 1 hr 15 min
Directors: Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson
Starring: Kathryn Beaumont, Ed Wynn, Richard Haydn, Verna Felton

This was a trip back to my childhood for sure. I recently acquired this one with my Disney Movie Club membership because it just came out of the "Vault" again. Next year is the 50th anniversary of this movie, too! Wow!

Anyway, as a kid, this version of Alice in Wonderland was a favorite VHS. It was probably where I first heard a British accent, consequently (and most likely where I learned to sing with one too.) It's short, sweet, full of nonsense, and leaves out all the scary bits of Lewis Carroll's classic (drug-induced) romp through Wonderland. No Jabberwocky here, thank you very much. In fact, I didn't even know about any Jabberwocky until I saw the TV miniseries at age 15 or so... that changed this story for me, just a wee bit.

Knowing so much more about the Carroll version, this one seems so tame it's ridiculous. Still, it has all the magic of a classic Disney-spun fairy tale, including catchy songs. Ellie really enjoyed "Golden Afternoon" and all the singing flowers. So in the end, this movie still does exactly what it was meant to do - entertain viewers of any age.

No comments:

Post a Comment