Thursday, January 6, 2011

Movie #124 - Clueless

Clueless
Paramount Pictures
1995 - Rated PG-13 - 1 hr 37 min
Director: Amy Heckerling
Starring: Alicia Silverstone, Stacey Dash, Brittany Murphy, Paul Rudd, Donald Faison, Breckin Meyer

I had to skip Clue because it's out on loan, so I'll add that one back in when it's returned.  For now, onto a movie that defined a generation of teenaged girls... myself included.

As if!

I love love love this movie, especially since it's a (loose) adaptation of Jane Austen's Emma. How clever and relevant to the times, how touching to bring Austen into modern cinema under the radar.  For years, I didn't even know about that. Look at that - the subtle influence of classic literature on an unsuspecting generation of girls.  Brilliant.

Anyway, Alicia Silverstone's career was made on this film, as well as Brittany Murphy's (man, do I miss her!!) And Donald Faison (Turk from Scrubs) is in this too, which is weird for me now because I watch that show.  When I first started watching Scrubs, he was "that guy from Clueless" but now, watching the movie, he's become "that guy from Scrubs." Funny how that works.

As the most quotable movie ever - in my opinion - this one's hard to watch without reciting the lines.  Maybe guys don't love this as much as I do - okay, I know they don't - but I think this movie is completely awesome, probably because of how unobtrusive the wit is.  It's satire done well and even now, 15 years later, I can still appreciate that.

Man... 15 years? That's disgusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment