Monday, January 3, 2011

Movie #112 - Cinderella

Cinderella
Walt Disney Pictures
1950 - Rated G - 1 hr 14 min
Directors: Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson
Starring: Ilene Woods, Eleanor Audley, Verna Felton, James MacDonald

Another classic Disney movie that I got to share with my daughter.  I think she liked the mice in this one and, of course, all those happy little songs.  Watching this, I had that familiarity with the images combine with a new adult perspective.  This version is pretty bleak at times, especially the scene where Cinderella's evil sisters rip her dress to shreds and leave her alone, battered and abused, to cry in the garden.  How sad!  As a kid, I just thought, "Wow that's mean."  But now I'm thinking, "Yikes! This is a Disney movie?"  Anyway, there it is and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to release a movie with a scene like that now... they'd have to add a song or something to lighten the mood.

Also, the Prince is only in this movie for one scene.  One scene. But she totally loves him, right? Maybe things were different back then, when you lived in a magic kingdom and hung out with animals.  But I've met some "handsome princes" in my life who were complete assholes, so I'm worried about Cinderella now that I've watched this again.  Yeah, they look cute together... but will it last?

Is this how I know I'm an adult now?

2 comments:

  1. I love that you're worried about Cinderella and her Prince. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's what I do. Where is this going? Will it last? At least I work in the right field, huh? LOL

    ReplyDelete