Friday, January 28, 2011

Movie #184 - Enemy at the Gates

Enemy at the Gates
2001 - Rated R - 2 hr 11 min
Director: Jean-Jacques Annaud
Starring: Jude Law, Ed Harris, Joseph Fiennes, Rachel Weisz, Bob Hoskins, Ron Perlman

Here's a twisted transition for you.... Enchanted to Enemy at the Gates. But here we are.  World War II. Snipers. Russian war camp.  Yippee!

Once I wrapped my brain around this non-musical, non-animated, non-happy-whatsoever movie, I remembered how much I enjoy it.  Joseph Fiennes has redeemed himself since Elizabeth (for me, anyway) with his character here, who really means well but gets a little too jealous for his own good.  In the end, he's a true friend though and makes the ultimate sacrifice.

This is one of my favorite roles for Jude Law as well, who doesn't get to be pretty in this movie and is not surrounded by flocks of women.  He really gets to act.  And watching his various stand-offs with one Ed Harris (scary, Nazi mo-fo in this, btw) is just delightful, in a very morbid way.  Thrilling? Compelling? We'll go with compelling.

Then there's poor Rachel Weisz, who just wants to help. Then just wants to love Jude Law like any other girl, okay? Leading us to the most awkward love scene in cinematic history. I'm serious. Most. Awkward. Scene. Ever.  But definitely well done.

And that's that. This movie makes me sad, but it's so powerful to watch.  I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment