Friday, January 28, 2011

Movie #183 - Enchanted

Enchanted
2007 - Rated PG - 1 hr 47 min
Director: Kevin Lima
Starring: Amy Adams, Susan Sarandon, James Marsden, Patrick Dempsey, Idina Menzel, Julie Andrews

When I first heard about this movie, I thought it was going to be dumb. I know, I know. Proved me wrong, didn't they?  In retrospective, the concept is kinda genius.  What happens when a Disney cartoon implodes on itself? How will a Disney princess survive in New York City?  Belle might've done better than Giselle does, but she somehow manages to get through it.

So she's not street smart. And she runs around with her hands all dainty-like in front of her face. She talks to animals and makes friends with the roaches.  She makes dresses from curtains.  And she sings everywhere.  Actually, I might like to hang out with Giselle myself, which is all thanks to Amy Adams, who buys into this with the unbridled enthusiasm that Will Ferrell became Buddy the Elf.  This is why this works people, it's all up to her to sell it to us. Of course, the little girl helps too. And let's not even get started on the awesomeness that is James Marsden. Hillarious.

And so, I was wrong. And I love this movie now.  The songs get stuck in my head. It's a pity that the only Broadway songstress to appear in the movie (Idina Menzel, who you might know from the OBC of Rent and Wicked) does not sing.  Huh.  But everyone else does just fine.

Yay for a fun movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment