Saturday, March 19, 2011

Movie #300 - The Importance of Being Earnest

The Importance of Being Earnest
2002 - Rated PG - 1 hr 37 min
Director: Oliver Parker
Starring: Rupert Everett, Colin Firth, Frances O'Connor, Reese Witherspoon, Judi Dench, Tom Wilkinson

Yay, Oscar Wilde! The first time I watched this movie, I was actually playing a minor role in the stageplay.  So I can speak to the accuracy of the screenplay.  Barring a few minor cinematic changes that don't affect anything at all, this is pretty true to Wilde's original text.

Even better, the casting is superb.  This show's success hangs on a solid ensemble and this one's spot on.  Especially Reese Witherspoon, who I had my reservations about.  Her accent is impeccable and her portrayal of Cecily is adorable.  And with the addition of a Rupert Everett / Colin Firth duet, the movie version of this stage classic is perfect.  I love this movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment