Monday, March 14, 2011

Movie #276 - House of Flying Daggers

House of Flying Daggers
2004 - Rated PG-13 - 1 hr 49 min
Director: Yimou Zhang
Starring: Takeshi Kaneshiro, Andy Lau, Ziyi Zhang, Dandan Song

Like Hero, this movie is really pretty to watch.  Fight scenes play out like a ballet, with robes flowing as the actors glide through the air.  The colors used to set the scenes in this film are superb.  The heart-breaking story of one woman's love triangle, which ultimately consumes her and results in her death, is a timeless tale relevant even today. 

I think I like the unconventional story-telling of Hero better, but Ziyi Zhang is equally enchanting in this role. And also driven by powerful emotions that tell her story for her.  But even if this isn't my favorite film style or my favorite movie, I can still appreciate it's artistry and the superb performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment