Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Movie #289 - I Hate Valentine's Day

I Hate Valentine's Day
2009 - Rated PG-13 - 1 hr 38 min
Director: Nia Vardalos
Starring: Nia Vardalos, John Corbett, Judah Friedlander, Rachel Dratch

This movie reunites the couple from My Big Fat Greek Wedding, which is cute but might hurt the film overall.  The story's not as good - though it does have its moments - and you're immediately comparing the two films together.  There's also something not quite right about Nia Vardalos's performance here.  Her acting just isn't as good and can be a bit cheesy at times.  Like she's overdoing it.  Perhaps this results from her role directing herself.  Hmm.

Don't get me wrong. I like this movie and it's unusual approach to a classic rom-com scenario.  Girl doesn't want romance, goes out of her way to avoid it.  Guy thinks that's great.  But all of a sudden, it's not great.  It's fun, witty, and filled with missed connections - something I love to watch.  I mean, come on, if the love interests don't work for it... where's the fun? Where's the payoff?   This movie has good payoff, but it's certainly not Vardalos's best work.

No comments:

Post a Comment