Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Movie #293 - I, Robot

I, Robot
2004 - Rated PG-13 - 1 hr 55 min
Director: Alex Proyas
Starring: Will Smith, Bridget Moynahan, Bruce Greenwood, Alan Tudyk, Chi McBride

Another book adapted into a movie staring Will Smith. And in the letter I.  I've never read the Isaac Asimov book this is based on, so I can't speak to that angle of the movie.  As a stand-alone futuristic action movie, I really do like this one.

Will Smith falls easily into the shoes of his hero character and the analysis of a society largely reliant on robots is not new territory, but explored with a fresh perspective.  They "can't" hurt humans and there are all these other rules that restrict them.  But a loophole, and a new model, start causing serious problems.  The central robot character, who actually feels emotions and dreams while he sleeps, voiced expertly by Alan Tudyk, is a really compelling figure - although that may be surprising.  Overall, the plot keeps you invested in this movie, rooting for our main robot.  And the end is a nice cap on a solid plotline.

2 comments:

  1. It's a fun movie... I just wish they'd called it something else... ANYTHING else. Because besides a passing reference to the three laws of robotics this has NOTHING to do with anything Isaac Asimov ever wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know!! It's kinda like that with I Am Legend too.

    ReplyDelete