Friday, May 20, 2011

Movie #398 - A League of Their Own

A League of Their Own
1992 - Rated PG - 2 hr 8 min
Director: Penny Marshall
Starring: Tom Hanks, Geena Davis, Lori Petty, Madonna, Jon Lovitz, David Strathairn, Garry Marshall, Bill Pullman, Megan Cavanagh, Rosie O'Donnell, Tracy Reiner, Ann Cusack, Bitty Schram

A pivotal movie from my youth... Girls can play sports! I remember how much I loved this movie, how I'd want to watch it over and over again.  And also how I'd quote it whenever possible.

"There's no crying in baseball!"  -- The valuable wisdom of Tom Hanks, boys and girls.  There is no crying in baseball, all true.

With a fantastic cast of vibrant characters and the perfect She-Ra strength of star Dottie Henson (thank you, Geena Davis), it's easy to see why this movie inspired so many of my young girlfriends to play baseball. Beyond the fun parts, there's also a really great story line here. A telling portrayal of two sisters, the younger always struggling to get her due and the older just trying to live her life. A heartbreaking reality of war-time America and the lengths people went to in order to go about "normal" life. These girls did much for the spirit of our country and should most definitely be celebrated in a movie like this.

It's always been a favorite, and now that I own it (finally), it will continue to be for a long time.

2 comments:

  1. So much more than a chick flick. As far as I'm concerned one of the best sports movies ever made. And the icing on the cake: NO ROMANTIC SUB-PLOT! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this movie! And, I use the "there's no crying in baseball" with my son a lot. Eventually he'll watch the movie and get it. Eventually.

    ReplyDelete