Sunday, May 15, 2011

Movie #379 - First Knight

First Knight
1995 - Rated PG-13 - 2 hr 14 min
Director: Jerry Zucker
Starring: Sean Connery, Richard Gere, Julia Ormond, Ben Cross, Liam Cunningham

Another post deleted by Blogger.  Here we go again...

Yay for gritty retellings of the King Arthur legend, with much less fantastical fairytale and a lot more of the actual climate of the time period. I especially like the shattered illusion that Arthur and Gueniviere were this perfect, handsome couple. He's older than her, their marriage is negotiated like a contract, she's in love with someone else.  It's very accurate for the time and it gives a realness to the story that I think most other tellings miss out on. 

Of course, my favorite scene is the "discovery" and Sean Connery's brilliant performance.  The heartache captured in his expression has always rung true to me and has stuck with me throughout the years since my first viewing. It's powerful and beautiful.... and now I'm gushing again.

Anyway, I love this one for its anti-romance romance :)

No comments:

Post a Comment