Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Movie #394 - The Last Unicorn

The Last Unicorn
1982 - Rated G - 1 hr 32 min
Directors: Jules Bass, Arthur Rankin Jr.
Starring: Jeff Bridges, Mia Farrow, Angela Lansbury, Tammy Grimes, Robert Klein, Christopher Lee, Keenan Wynn, Alan Arkin

This movie was always a favorite when I was a kid, but possibly because it was about a unicorn.  I had a unicorn phase, what can I say? I'm a girl!

And now as an adult, I've rediscovered the tragic beauty of this story.  Honestly, the only thing that makes it a "kids" movie is the animation.  Otherwise, it's dark and grim, filled with lots of evil characters and other scary fantastical beasts... all who want to hurt a poor, defenseless unicorn.

Then there's the love story.  I gotta admit, it makes me teary now that I'm all grown up and I understand what happens to this poor unicorn/woman.  To experience human emotions, fall in love, find real happiness... only to have it all taken away.  So sad, so poignant.

It's such a good story that even songs by America can't ruin it.

3 comments:

  1. I love this movie. And personally I rather like the songs... except for when the characters themselves start singing about two thirds of the way in out of nowhere... Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's not really a musical. Either go all the way or don't bother. The songs are good, but they REALLY date the movie. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this movie. It's on my all-time favorite top five. Possibly top two.

    ReplyDelete