Monday, May 16, 2011

Movie #387 - The History Boys

The History Boys
2006 - Rated R - 1 hr 49 min
Director: Nicholas Hytner
Starring: Richard Griffiths, Frances de la Tour, Clive Merrison, Stephen Campbell Moore, Andrew Knott, Russell Tovey, Dominic Cooper, Samuel Barnett

Okay.... this movie was not at all what I expected.  Yes, it's about a rowdy bunch of male students trying to earn acceptance into Oxford.  Yes, it's about stiff, rigid teaching and modern, "randy" students clashing.  But somehow, all the plot summaries available online glossed over the detail about the manual stimulation between student and teacher.

Oh, it's not sexual though, so I guess it's okay.  For real? Honestly?

I'm not sure what this movie was trying to convey as its lesson learned, but it certainly seemed to me to be a proponent of sexual abuse.  Hooray!

The sad thing is, barring that little tid-bit, I rather enjoyed the rest of the movie.  It just didn't sit well with me. I think it gave me heartburn.

No comments:

Post a Comment