Friday, May 20, 2011

Movie #395 - Lawrence of Arabia

Lawrence of Arabia
1962 - Rated ? - 3 hr 36 min
Director: David Lean
Starring: Peter O'Toole, Alec Guinness, Anthony Quinn, Omar Sharif, Claude Rains

I like old movies. Really, I do.  But this movie's so looooooooooooong. And there's so much time spent crossing deserts. So much.

Still, this man's story (based on the true events of T.E. Lawrence's life) is really impressive.  It reminded me of the basic concept behind The Last Samurai (which I just watched, so it was fresh in my mind): a displaced soldier finds himself identifying with a foreign culture and winds up torn between his roots and his new "home."  Beyond that, this movie definitely wins for best actor portrayal of that paradox.  Peter O'Toole is truly brilliant -- particularly throughout the transformation from fun-loving, adventure-seeking young soldier to embittered, hardened colonel.  He manages to find enough personal resolution to go home in the end, but I suspect he was never really at peace.

If you're thinking of diving into this one, I suggest you get comfortable and bring some snacks. Lots of water. Plan on taking a bathroom break at intermission.  It's keep you engaged, for sure, but it will definitely leave you feeling as though you have crossed the desert yourself.  It's draining, but it's worth the watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment