Monday, May 16, 2011

Movie #390 - The Italian Job

The Italian Job
2003 - Rated PG-13 - 1 hr 51 min
Director: F. Gary Gray
Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Donald Sutherland, Edward Norton, Charlize Theron, Jason Statham, Seth Green, Mos Def, Scott Adsit

I've never seen the original, so I can't compare. And I can't give my typical spiel about remakes either, since there's nothing for me to be upset about.  Regardless of its predecessor, I like this movie.  Revisiting it, I was surprised how much, in fact.  There's a great cast of young actors here and an Ed Norton baddie that's kinda fun to see.

A good balance of action scenes, humor, and drama keeps this movie going for me.  It doesn't get too caught up in the heist piece to tell you a decent storyline and the concept of avenging a friend's (or father's) death is much more stomachable than just a group of people out to steal some gold.  It works, it feels like a fresh reboot, and it makes me want to rent the original just to compare.

1 comment:

  1. Both this and the original have very different overall feels to them but are both fun.

    ReplyDelete