Friday, February 4, 2011

Movie #214 - The Fountain

The Fountain
2006 - Rated R - 1 hr 36 min
Director: Darren Aronofsky
Starring: Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz, Sean Patrick Thomas, Ellen Burstyn, Ethan Suplee

I really want to love this movie.  I really do.  Hugh and Rachel make me want to love their story, with its interwoven threads to the past and future.  And all those references to trees, the Tree of Life, etc.  I want to love this movie, Darren Aronofsky, but every time I watch it, I just can't.

This is artsy and complicated. To the untrained viewer, it's confusing.  In the main story line, Rachel Weisz is dying from a brain tumor and Hugh Jackman is experimenting on monkeys to find the cure.  He's too late, and this huge loss causes a ripple through time into his future life... in a bubble...? With a tree, that/who is Rachel Weisz. Spiritually speaking.  And in the past, he's a Spanish explorer and she is Queen. Also, he becomes a plant.

The Fountain relies heavily on its metaphors and if you suspend reality and just absorb the powerful statement it's trying to make, you'll like it.  The nonsequential plot is fine, if you are watching it to understand Hugh Jackman's character's journey.  Love is a powerful thing that makes us do crazy things. Like tai chi in a bubble.

Just sayin'.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Somebody else who loves this movie! I get why most people are iffy on it but I adore this film.

    ReplyDelete