Saturday, March 26, 2011

Movie #330 - Juno

Juno
2007 - Rated PG-13 - 1 hr 36 min
Director: Jason Reitman
Starring: Ellen Page, Michael Cera, Jennifer Garner, Jason Bateman, Allison Janney, JK Simmons, Rainn Wilson

Finally, a movie about teen pregnancy that's not a heart-breaking drama.  In fact, it's funny. Really funny. Ellen Page's quirky Juno is priceless, always quick with the pickup and always ready with an off-beat joke.  Rad.

One of my favorite things about this movie is the cast.  Overall, it's cast really well: Allison Janney has some great moments as Brenda, Juno's stepmom.  Garner and Bateman make the unlikely pair they portray believable.  JK Simmons is the coolest, calmest, most collected dad of a teen mom I've ever seen, but it works. And Michael Cera staked his claim on the charming geek-boy domain with this film, transitioning smoothly from his charming geek-boy character on Arrested Development. It's almost the same character, just on the big screen and in running shorts.  But he does it so well, it makes sense.

Diablo Cody made her screenwriting debut with this gem of a flick, and I'm looking forward to seeing more from her.  With dialogue that's clever and witty, characters that could be your own friends or neighbors, and a plot that's simple but realistic, I really enjoy this movie all around.

2 comments:

  1. If you dig Cody's writing I recommend checking out the Showtime series "United States of Tara."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! I've been interested in that since it started, but I don't have Showtime. I think I can get it on Netflix tho :)

    ReplyDelete