Saturday, March 26, 2011

Movie #326 - John Candy Collection: Going Berserk

Going Berserk
1983 - Rated R - 1 hr 24 min
Director: David Steinberg
Starring: John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy, Alley Mills, Pat Hingle, Dixie Carter, Richard Libertini, Ernie Hudson

I'm not really even sure why this movie was made.  I can't even really say what happens here... But those sneaky people at Columbia Pictures know how to get royalties paid on their lesser-selling titles --  just sneak 'em into a collection with two movies people have heard of.  After watching the first two movies (both written by John Hughes), this one seems like an afterthought, a lowlight from John Candy's career.  But the DVD is on the wall, so I gotta watch it.  Them's the rules.

Honestly, who made up these stupid rules anyway?

John Candy is a drummer/limo driver inexplicably engaged to a hot chick (played by Alley Mills, the mom from Wonder Years) who is also the daughter of a congressman.  His adventures with his male friend Chick and a sleazy film director (who cast Candy in his low-budget kung fu movie... as the lead) get him into trouble. He gets handcuffed to a dead Ernie Hudson, which was my favorite four-minutes of the film, and then makes enemies with the leader of an aerobics cult.  Yes, that's what I said: Aerobics Cult.

While the movie does provide for some fantastic "Let's Get Physical" workout moments, it's a terrible movie overall.  Don't waste your time. Seriously, people.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't wait to read this one, not gonna lie.

    Seriously, I'm impressed you pulled enough to put that paragraph together because I feel like I'm hearing the story line for the first time. I had no idea what we were watching... like, at all. I only really paid attention during the "'robies" scenes, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally see an aerobics cult. Maybe I'm just jaded like that...

    ReplyDelete