Friday, October 29, 2010

Movie #67 - Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice
Warner Bros. Pictures
1988 - Rated PG - 1 hr 32 min
Director: Tim Burton
Starring: Michael Keaton, Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, Catherine O'Hara, Winona Ryder

Here's another example of a movie that's so classic it's on TV all the time. I feel like I just watched this movie a couple of weeks ago, probably on TV, and just because, "Hey, Beetlejuice is on..."

Before Tim Burton directed Michael Keaton in Batman and Batman Returns, he paired up with him on this weird one. I did not know this until, well, about five minutes ago when I went to IMDB for the year. Something in his performance as Beetlejuice said to Tim Burton, "Hey, man. I'd make a sexy Batman." I'm not sure what, but there must've been something there, however tiny.

Anyway, who doesn't love this movie? It's a lighthearted look at death, the afterlife, haunted mansions, and old-school goth culture as demonstrated by an adolescent, pre-shoplifting Winona Ryder. And every time I watch this movie I remember Catherine O'Hara is in it. I have to admit that I also sing "Day-Oh" right along with them.

Here.... you can sing along too!

2 comments:

  1. There's something to be said for Michael Keaton in this movie since he has the least screen time of any major character but he totally owns this film.

    ReplyDelete