Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Movie #54 - Batman

Batman
Warner Bros. Pictures
1989 - Rated PG-13 - 2 hr 6 min
Director: Tim Burton
Starring: Michael Keaton, Kim Basinger, Jack Nicholson, Billy Dee Williams

I don't even know where to start with this movie. Suffice it to say, my opinions on Batman caused an argument with my husband. According to him, Michael Keaton is the best Batman there ever was.

Adam West is pissed off about this.

Well, whatever. Mike can like this movie all he wants. I think it's kind of a big mess. Tim Burton had not yet hit his stride, that much is evident. He's a great director, the cast isn't bad. I mean, Jack Nicholson single-handedly carries this movie from beginning to end. He's worth watching, but that's where my praise ends.

If it's been a while since you've seen this (as it had been for me), then let me refresh your memory. The Joker's diabolical scheme is to poison cosmetics. Poison. Cosmetics. He kills 13 people. That's it. Thirteen people. The flu virus kills more people in a week.

Seriously, folks.

But the thing about this movie that irritated me more than the plot was the cheesy sound effects. I'm not sure if they were going for the lame-o (yet classic) sound effects of the early Batman tv show or if they just had a sucky foley artist. But halfway through the movie, I stopped counting how many cartoon-ish bullet richocet sounds I heard. It was just pissing me off. Cartoon "Pows" and "Kablams" would have been better, I think.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget though that if Batman hadn't stopped the balloons the death toll would have been in the hundreds if not thousands. The poisoned cosmetics were meant to put the city in panic. People bag on this movie now but I still like it.

    ReplyDelete