Friday, October 29, 2010

Movie #63 - Beauty & the Beast

Beauty & the Beast
Walt Disney Pictures
1991 - Rated G - 1 hr 24 min
Directors: Gary Trousdale, Kirk Wise
Starring: Paige O'Hara, Robby Benson, Richard White, Jerry Orbach, David Ogden Stiers, Angela Lansbury

I'm just going to come out and say it. This movie still makes me cry. And I'm not talking about one little tear. Full blown sobbing. The ending is gorgeous. The pain palpable. I just love this movie.

And it's animated, so I can see how that might sound weird.

Still, I consider Beauty & the Beast to be Walt Disney Pictures's masterpiece. I mean, come on. It won an Oscar for Best Picture, inspiring the Academy to create a separate category for Animated Feature Films. It was the first Disney movie to hit the Broadway stage. And I think it's still running... Just Googled that, and it's the sixth longest running musical in Broadway history. Take that, Cats!

So I love this movie. That's no secret. I've loved it from the first time I saw it in the movie theater. I can still remember seeing it. If you haven't seen this movie, there's something wrong with you. And if you don't know all the words to "Be Our Guest," I'm surprised (but I don't judge).

I really don't have much of a review to write about this one, since I'm so clearly biased. Watching this for the first time with Ellie was one of the highlights of my Movie Wall project thus far. And let me tell you, I think we have another big fan on our hands here, folks.

3 comments:

  1. This one is Laura's all time favorite. Definitely a great one. Nitpick though: it didn't win Best Picture, though it was the first animated film nominated. "Silence of the Lambs" won that year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here, I always thought it won! WOW. I think someone lied to me. I guess I should check my facts.... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. It should have won. :) Have you read Rose Daughter? Or Beauty? Both by Robin McKinley. They're still on my top 5 favorite books.

    ReplyDelete