Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Movie #413 - Life as a House

Life as a House
2001 - Rated R - 2 hr 5 min
Director: Irwin Winkler
Starring: Kevin Kline, Hayden Christensen, Kristin Scott Thomas, Jena Malone, Mary Steenburgen, Ian Somerhalder, Scott Bakula

Okay, okay. This movie made me cry.

No, not just cry.  Sob.  I sobbed at the end of this movie.  And Ellie was really concerned about me for a minute, then blew raspberrie in my face.  Which solved my sobbing problem.

But really... Kline as a divorced dad trying to spend a few final moments with his nearly-estranged teenage son before succumbing to terminal cancer; building a house that brings a family and neighborhood together; falling in love with his ex-wife all over again just days before... well, you know. Damn cancer.

Although it makes you cry, this movie does a lot of other things as well.  It inspires and it makes your heart swell, it makes you think about people in your life that matter to you, makes you want to be a good parent to your children (even if you don't have them yet.)  It may or may not make you want to build a house--that's up to you.  But this movie, even though it made me sob, made me feel good about some things.

That's saying something.

No comments:

Post a Comment