Friday, February 18, 2011

Movie #251 - Hancock

Hancock
2008 - Rated PG-13 - 1 hr 32 min
Director: Peter Berg
Starring: Will Smith, Charlize Theron, Jason Bateman, Thomas Lennon

From the previews, I thought this movie would be a lot more fun than it ended up being.  Come on. Ornery superhero annoyed by his moral obligation to help people? Could have been great.  Wasn't.

Instead, this becomes some kind of supernatural drama and our "superhero" is really some kind of "superbeing" that is thousands of years old and has amnesia.  As he finds out more about who he is, and concentrates less on getting over his aversion to help others, I start to lose interest.  Yes, it lends itself to some really cool action sequences, which are most likely CGI-heavy, but I really felt let down.

I don't hate it, but I don't like it as much as I thought I would.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. It was such a great beginning, and then it just... meh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah one of a very long list of solid premises that just didn't live up to the potential.

    ReplyDelete