Monday, February 7, 2011

Movie #224 - The Ghost and the Darkness

The Ghost and the Darkness
1996 - Rated R - 1 hr 49 min
Director: Stephen Hopkins
Starring: Michael Douglas, Val Kilmer, Tom Wilkinson, John Kani, Bernard Hill, Brian McCardie, Emily Mortimer, Om Puri

I really enjoyed this one, much more than the first time I watched it.  Actually, I barely remember my first viewing, so this was almost like the first time I guess.  I also did not realize that this story is based on true events.  Apparently, two lions really did kill around 130 people in Africa in 1898 and really are stuffed and mounted in a museum in Chicago.  Who knew?

So Val Kilmer plays the bridge engineer, whose staff keeps getting eaten, and Michael Douglas is the rogue lion-killer sent in to help him kill these things.  There are a few things that seem weird to me. 1. Val Kilmer is a British officer...without a British accent.  2. Male lions don't hunt, female lions do. 

Of course, these lions act against almost all natural lion-like habits.  So, in a way, I guess it doesn't matter if they're male or female.  It's more weird, but okay. True story. I guess I can't argue.

Anyway, it's a really good story and really well told in this movie.  Except for Val Kilmer's accent.

No comments:

Post a Comment