Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Movie #232 - The Godfather: Part II

The Godfather: Part II
1974 - Rated R - 3 hr 20 min
Director: Francis Ford Coppola
Starring: Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton, John Cazale, Talia Shire, James Caan, Abe Vigoda, Danny Aiello

I probably remember this movie of the three best, and as a sequel, it certainly stands on its own.  The only sequel to win Best Picture at the Oscars, I think.  That's saying something, for sure.

So Michael Corleone is growing into his role, while we also flashback to 1901 and thereafter to see his father grow into his own role. At first, I didn't know why the flashbacks were here, but as the story progressed (leading to Michael's ultimate blood betrayal), I could understand why we see these two stories blended together in one movie.

And it's a looooooooooooong one too!  Two discs! Still, I really enjoyed the journey. Character-driven pieces like these (when they're well done) are always a treat.  And this family provides so many characters and so many interwoven tales, that I can see why this has become an iconic trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment