Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Movie #144 - Dark City

Dark City
New Line Cinema
1998 - Not Rated - 1 hr 40 min
Director: Alex Proyas
Starring: Rufus Sewell, Kiefer Sutherland, Jennifer Connelly, William Hurt

What's up, creepy movie? I see you have a pretty cool cast (even if Kiefer has a super annoying over-breathy speech thing as Dr. Schreber). I also see that you use of the word "dark" is not only symbolic, but also an accurate description of the lighting used in each shot.  At times, you look like a black and white film.

Mike loves this movie and I think it's a pretty cool concept.  Heavy, but cool.  Messed up memories that are planted in your head in a nightmare world, plus telekinetic aliens who want our souls.  That's twisted. Who comes up with these things? Oh, this director guy wrote it, so I bet he's pretty messed up.

Watch this one for something thought provoking, just don't get up to get the popcorn without pausing it. You'll be really confused if you miss even a moment.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's 2/3rds of an awesome movie. I've gotten over my dislike of the last half hour a little bit but I just feel the resolution is too easy and is nowhere near as fun as the mystery.

    ReplyDelete