Monday, January 10, 2011

Movie #135 - The Count of Monte Cristo

The Count of Monte Cristo
Touchstone Pictures
2002 - Rated PG-13 - 2 hr 11 min
Director: Kevin Reynolds
Starring: Jim Caviezel, Guy Pearce, Richard Harris, James Frain, Luis Guzman

Okay, so right off the bat, the catch phrase for this movie has me rolling my eyes... "Prepare for adventure, Count on revenge."  Really? Someone went there?

So once I get over that, I don't mind this movie so much.  Does it stick to the original masterpiece? Not exactly.  Is it entertaining? Sure. That's mostly thanks to Jim Caviezel and Guy Pearce, who are awesome! And oh, original Dumbledore (Richard Harris) is in jail with Edmond which is kinda cool.  I also discovered that Henry Cavill from The Tudors plays Albert, so that's also fun to see.

Mostly, you just watch this movie for the light intrigue and 'complex' revenge plot that's not really all that clever.  Did you know that if everyone assumes your dead, no one recognizes you when you come back? I feel like they could have done more there, so it's not like the whole 'Clark Kent wears glasses so he can't be Superman' thing... but whatever.  Luiz Guzman also doesn't really fit into this movie... he's not bad, and I give him credit for trying, but every so often he says a line and it pulls me out of the 'atmosphere' of this movie. He seems a little out of place, that's all.

In general, this isn't so bad but I'm frustrated about the ending.  In the book, things don't work out so well for our hero, who learns that seeking revenge has its consequences. In the movie, he gets his revenge and then gets to stay happy... What is this movie trying to say?

No comments:

Post a Comment