Thursday, November 11, 2010

Movie #81 - Blade Runner

Blade Runner
Warner Bros Pictures
1982 - Rated R - 1 hr 57 min
Director: Ridley Scott
Starring: Harrison Ford, Sean Young, Daryl Hannah, Rutger Hauer

This was my second viewing of Blade Runner, something I would consider a "guy classic." But I have to admit that this second time around, I enjoyed it more.  The whole "is he" or "isn't he" debate drives me nuts (if you don't know what I'm talking about, you have to watch the movie... I'm not spoiling this one for you), but I can appreciate the open-ended "conclusion" of the movie.

Harrison Ford is great, especially considering that he was in the midst of Han Solo-ness at the time this movie was made.  This is a distinctly different character while still being very action-oriented and romatic-hero representative.  Sean Young just freaks me out, though.  Really.

To sum it up, great futuristic concept with a believable plotline and an excellent cast.  I kinda wish the shots weren't so dark throughout the movie, but what do I know about cinematography?  All in all, this one's climbing up my list of personal favorites.

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious, do you know which of the four versions of this movie you've seen? Granted all are good (though the theatrical release with the forced voice-over naration is the weakest.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Director's Cut with the Ridley Scott intro. He says it's his "favorite version" of the movie. It's the only one I've seen. No narration.

    ReplyDelete