Thursday, November 11, 2010

Movie #78 - Blade

Blade
New Line Cinema
1998 - Rated R - 2 hours
Director: Stephen Norrington
Starring: Wesley Snipes, Stephen Dorff, Kris Kristoffersen, Donal Logue

The working title for this movie was Blade, the Vampire Slayer. I'm really glad they steered away from that, because then it really would have seemed like a tougher, edgier, Wesley Snipes-ier Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And Joss Whedon was all set in that sector, thanks.

But Blade sounds harsher, fierceer even, than your average high-school vampire slaying film.

This movie is good, definitely the best of the three, and introduces the concept of a vampire-virus-infected vampire killer as just this unfortunate life-sucks kind of occurrence.  I think this is my favorite Snipes role after Demolition Man, and it kinda makes me miss the magic of 90's era action films (and their action heroes.)

Anyway, onto the less than stellar sequels.

1 comment:

  1. I do like this first one but more for Stephen Dorff than Snipes. I personally like the second one best, I feel like this one ended weakly.

    ReplyDelete