Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Movie #104 - Charlotte's Web

Charlotte's Web
Hanna-Barbera Pictures
1973 - Rated G - 1 hr 34 min
Directors: Charles A. Nichols, Iwao Takamoto
Starring: Debbie Reynolds, Harry Gibson, Paul Lynde, Danny Bonaduce

As a kid, this was always one of my favorites.  As an adult, I have no explanation for that... I'm arachnophobic.  I shouldn't want to have anything to do with a spider, even if she is voiced by the illustrious Debbie Reynolds.  And still, I loved the book and the movie, read and watched them over and over. I think I even wrote a book report on this E.B. White classic story at some point.

Anyway, watching it again for the first time since puberty, it was nice to know that I remembered it much as it was.  None of those weird "Well, this is lame" moments that have ruined most of the other favorites from my childhood.  The one observation I did make is how much of a giant baby Wilbur is... and how they seem to be using him to make a gay joke throughout the entire movie.  But it was the 70's so who knows.

Long story short, it was nice to see this again and share it with Ellie, who was mesmerized and danced with me to the songs.  Watching childhood favorites with your own children really makes them seem special again.

No comments:

Post a Comment