Saturday, October 16, 2010

Movie #36 - Atonement

Atonement

Universal Pictures
2007 - Rated R - 2 hr 3 min
Director: Joe Wright
Starring: James McAvoy, Keira Knightley, Romola Garai

I'd never seen this movie before and I wasn't really sure what to expect from it. I'm 50/50 on the lead actors, typically scared of books-turned-film, and I also had no idea what this was about.

I was pleasantly surprised by this one, however. Enough to go and read the book, I think.

Keira Knightley didn't annoy me and I think I might actually be a James McAvoy fan now. These two were well suited to each other and you really believe their relationship is real. Add one meddling 13-year-old with strong (though false) convictions. And this would-be chick flick becomes a drama about life, betrayal, and how sad life can really be sometimes.

If you haven't seen this because you think it's all about love and sex, please just watch it. I applaud Ian McEwan for being so real you want to punch him in the face. We all have something we regret in life (none of us as badly as Briony, that meddling teen--I hope), but on some level, we can all relate to that deep down in your bones desire to make amends.

2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely one of my most favorite books. My only regret with the movie was how they truncated the Dunkirk section - but logistically, they couldn't film everything McEwan created. Exquisitely filmed - ooh, I think I have to go watch it now.

    Definitely read it. The part about Dunkirk made me very thirsty, but the whole novel gave me a lot to think about as a writer. About the power of manipulating (or rewriting) history.

    And James MacAvoy is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He really was excellent! I have to admit I kinda have a crush on him now.

    Anyway, I'm adding this to my must-read book sheld now :)

    ReplyDelete