Monday, October 11, 2010

Movie #29 - Angels & Demons

Angels & Demons
Columbia Pictures
2009 - Rated R - 2 hr 18 min
Director: Ron Howard
Starring: Tom Hanks, Ewan McGregor

Like The DaVinci Code, I was glad I read the book before I saw the movie. The books are better, but I can't say I'm surprised. It's hard to improve on a Dan Brown adventure. Also like The DaVinci Code, Angels & Demons centers on Robert Langdon, the world's leading symbologist, on another adventure rooted in Catholicism (and it's surrounding -isms). This time, it's the Illuminati out to get the Church, and Robert has to save the day (and Vatican City).

Unlike The DaVinci Code, the movie is well adapted from the book, rarely chopping out huge sections of action or dialogue. It also doesn't seem choppy. Oddly, this book is written as a prequel, but since DaVinci came out as a movie first, they chose to turn this into a sequel. It's not a plot point, but I know some Langdonites were irritated by this.


Overall, Angels & Demons is my favorite Langdon adventure, both in the written and visual artforms. I definitely recommend reading both titles (and the new one, The Lost Symbol) before adding this to the Netflix queue, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment