Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Movie #377 - FernGully: The Last Rainforest

FernGully: The Last Rainforest
1992 - Rated G - 1 hr 16 min
Director: Bill Kroyer
Starring: Samantha Mathis, Christian Slater, Robin Williams, Tim Curry, Grace Zabriskie, Geoffrey Blake, Cheech Marin, Tommy Chong, Tone Loc

Now that we've got kids, we're starting to collect some of the animated films of our youth.  This one was always a favorite in my house growing up, so I had some fond memories going in for a revisit.  It's a little bit more.... how do I say this?... lame, then I remember. But it still has an all-star cast, so it must've been good for its day.

The environmentalist message is still very relevant, even 19 years (I know!) later. Not much else to report here. This is a fun kids movie that I'm sure my daughter will one day enjoy with lots of songs, a great cast, and a nice, positive message to share.

Is it the inspiration for Avatar? Why don't you be the judge....

2 comments:

  1. Yeah it doesn't hold up as well as I'd like it too... I still have a soft spot for this though. Plus I have it tickles me when the villain gets the best song of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially when the villain is Tim Curry! Go, Frankenfurter, go!

    ReplyDelete