Friday, April 1, 2011

Movie #335 - Just Like Heaven

Just Like Heaven
2005 - Rated PG-13 - 1 hr 35 min
Director: Mark Waters
Starring: Reese Witherspoon, Mark Ruffalo, Donal Logue, Dina Waters, Jon Heder, Ben Shenkman

Oh, I love this movie.  Call me cheesy, but the premise is so touching and so sweet that I just can't help myself. As I told my sister while watching this, I wish I had been the one to write this love story.

Technically, it's another rom-com even though one of the members of this couple is dead from the beginning of the romance. (SPOILER ALERT) Or is she? As Jon Heder (a weird, socially awkward book shop employee) helps Ruffalo determine, there's more to Witherspoon's "haunting" than meets the eye.  So this romance takes place on two planes of existence, one that neither person understands. But the hope that they could be together keeps them motivated. And it's hard not to keep your fingers crossed that it will work out.

Even though rom-com rules say it will, you can't really see how since a movie like this hasn't been done before.  Sorta.  The premise is pretty original but the plot unfolds predictably, once you get the hang of where it's going.  I don't care though. Part of the reason you watch a romance is to see the two characters get together.  Predictable or no, I always applaud a good script/book that takes an unusual path to reach the usual destination.  This one keeps me interested. Love it.

1 comment:

  1. As somebody who is not a fan of the chick flick rom com I still liked this one, it's inventive enough to get by and solid performances help.

    ReplyDelete