Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Movie #262 - Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince
2009 - Rated PG - 2 hr 39 min
Director: David Yates
Starring: Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, Michael Gambon, Jim Broadbent, Bonnie Wright, Helena Bonham Carter, Timothy Spall, Alan Rickman, Robbie Coltrane, Warwick Davis, Maggie Smith, David Thewlis, Gemma Jones

The end of this movie still gets me.  And every time, I remember reading the end of this book in my hotel room in Italy and looking at Mike and saying, "WHAT?! Are you KIDDING ME?!"

JK Rowling wasn't kidding, despite the various websites that sprung up between books 6 and 7 arguing the contrary. 

And although the end of the movie is different, it's nice that it doesn't leave the same ambiguity as the book.  No Fawkes flying into the sky imagery. No confusing colors of light deployed from Snape's wand to throw you off track.  Honestly, read it.  You'll see what I mean.

Of course, this movie has to cut out lots as well, since it's too large to comfortably fit everything into a film adaptation.  I think this is one of the better ones, but I'm always biased because I've read the books so I know what's going on.  If you watch this without reading the books, I can't promise you'll catch everything.

I guess what I'm saying is, go read the darn books already.

No comments:

Post a Comment