Friday, December 10, 2010

Movie #88 - The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day

The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day
Sony Pictures Entertainment
2009 - Rated R - 1 hr 58 min
Director: Troy Duffy
Starring: Sean Patrick Flanery, Norman Reedus, Billy Connolly, Julie Benz

Okay.  Let me start by saying that I didn't hate this movie.  I'm not sure I could hate anything with Connor and Murphy in it, seriously.  And ten years later, they revisit these characters with the same fun-loving attitude, though a bit hardened over time.  Sean Patrick Flanery and Norman Reedus are not the problem here.

Neither is Julie Benz, or the trio of cops resuming their roles from the first film, as they struggle to find a way to keep the Saints protected - from each other at first.  Benz does her best at filling Dafoe's shoes, but it's not her fault that Smecker was so freakin' awesome in the first movie.  You just can't touch him, ya know?

I don't even blame the Rocco replacement, this time a crazy Mexican with tangled hair and uncontrollable impulses. We'll call him Rocco Junior.

I think the problem is that you go into this movie expecting it to be bigger and better than the first.  After all, it says II - doesn't that mean it has to be an improvement?  Duffy didn't do a horrible job, but at times he let his desire to please his fans take over.  There's just too many reused jokes and devices from the first movie.  Instead of making new jokes, we're subjected to a handful of recycled materials.  Eh.  It's fun to relive, but that's why we have DVDs of the first movie, Mr. Duffy.

And then there's the ending - which I won't give away if you haven't seen it - but it leaves everything wide open for a third movie.  Is that happening?  It almost has to for closure, thanks to the surprise guest at the end.  What the hell?

So I really want to like this one but I have mixed feelings.  I've decided to just enjoy it as another two hours of hot Irish guys, fun-loving action and crime, and a setting in my favorite city.

1 comment:

  1. It just tried too hard to recapture the first rather than really move things forward. That said the dream sequence with Rocco was PRICELESS!

    ReplyDelete